Metro Cammell TVR coaches details (Trevor Jones drawings)

The place to discuss layouts, kits, modifications, exhibitions, etc.

Metro Cammell TVR coaches details (Trevor Jones drawings)

Postby hywel rees » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 pm

I am building a rake of TVR coaches in 4mm from the old Derek Munday etchings (now with London Road Models) based on the Trefor Jones drawings in the MRC in 1957/8. I want to model them in the early GWR condition to represent the Swansea to Cardiff service over the R&SB. I have copies of the MRC drawings, Eric Mountford's GWR Absorbed Coaching Stock book and Welsh Railways Archive Volume IV No 6, November 2007 that shows a photo of a similar TVR rake at Danygraig in 1926.

Does anyone know where I can find any other photos of these coaches in GWR condition? (Roger Carpenter didn't have anything).

Trefor suggests that these coaches were probably fitted with torpedo ventilators and a gas cylinder but as the Metro Cammell as built drawings don't show these, he didn't wish to guess and add them to his drawing. I have concluded from photos of other TVR bogie coaches that the GWR moved the long running board half way up the solebar and removed the lower stepboard between the bogies, although the stepboard between the bogie axleboxes was retained and a step added at the outer end of the bogies. The six wheel passenger brake vans kept both their full length running boards although these vehicles had mostly been with drawn by 1930.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.
hywel rees

Return to Modelling Welsh Railways