curate’s egg

Locomotives, coaches, and wagons

curate’s egg

Postby andrewnummelin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Yesterday was a bit like the curate’s egg. Another bit of ignorance identified, followed by fog over the moors on the way home; but these were more than balanced by an excellent talk by Paul Stanford and a great new book. Therein lies my lack of knowledge: just what are the bits ringed in the image below? (B1 76 shown in the figure on page 27 of the new Barry book.)
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg (122.39 KiB) Viewed 76 times

My first thought was that these had something to do with the vacuum brake system but I think that's not the case.
The feature between the running plate and smoke box is not shown on any of the drawings and is not visible in any photos of the right hand side of locos. It's visible in the photos of 112 (page 20) & 123 (p. 10 of Rails to Prosperity) both with vacuum brake, but also in the photo of 32 (page 22) without vacuum brake.
An item below the footplate also appears in the photo of 112, and possibly 32, but these items don't appear identical.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin
andrewnummelin

Re: curate’s egg

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 pm

A small point but the picture of No. 112 is to be found on page 26 of the Barry book, not page 20.
Y Twyn - Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Re: curate’s egg

Postby andrewnummelin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:30 am

Rhobat Bryn wrote:A small point but the picture of No. 112 is to be found on page 26 of the Barry book, not page 20.

Indeed!
I've displayed my ignorance of locomotive design and now it's lack of typing, or reading, ability.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin
andrewnummelin

Return to Rolling Stock