Criccieth

The place to discuss layouts, kits, modifications, exhibitions, etc.

Criccieth

Postby Graham » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Hello all

I thought that I would use my first post to say 'Hello' and to let you know I've become a WRRC member this month.

My main interest is Criccieth Station but I have an interest in railways in general, mainly steam.

I plan to make a 4mm model of Criccieth in The Grouping period but at present do not have the space. I hope to have resolved that issue next year.

I look forward to lively discussions on here.

Cheers
Graham
Regards
Graham
Graham

Re: Criccieth

Postby Noel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Welcome to the Circle and the Forum, Graham. Not all of the Circle membership are active on the Forum, by any means, but those that are will do their best to help if you have any questions, I'm sure. You don't say which 4mm gauge you intend to use; I'm just asking out of curiosity, as I work in P4, as does at least one other member of the circle who appears on here.
Noel
Noel

Postby Graham » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi Noel

Thank you for the welcome.

Gauge... that's the dilemma! I have not been an active modeller at home for quite a long time although I do regularly get together with a few friends and an 00 'club layout'. I have a fair amount of stock, track, and other items from years ago, all 00 and all boxed away at present. Some of it is very old and not to a good standard but some is more recent and could probably be brought up to a reasonable level of detail. At the moment I am unsure whether to stick with what might be termed quality 00 or whether to re-wheel the better items and switch to EM. Whatever I decide there will certainly need to be some new engines and stock to enable an accurate portrayal of my chosen subject. I don't think I have the time or patience to move to P4.
Regards
Graham
Graham

Postby Noel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:18 pm

I don't think myself that converting r-t-r to P4 rather than EM is significantly more difficult, although clearances can certainly be an issue. Both will involve new wheels, which increases the expense, of course. Also, both will require the building of track, since r-t-r EM or P4 doesn't exist. Again more expense, and more time required. Much depends on the time you have available, the level of skills which you currently have, or might be able to achieve, and the compromises you are or are not prepared to tolerate. Recent track from Peco, and current r-t-r stock is very much better than when I went to P4 30+ years ago, as are many of the currently available kits, so if I was faced with the same choice now my answer might be different.

There is also the possible issue of running your stock on a layout owned by or shared with one or more of your friends. It's all a very personal choice, but whatever your decision, I think you are right in saying that the older items will need critical evaluation. There are societies for both OO http://www.doubleogauge.com/, EM http://www.emgs.org/ and P4 https://www.scalefour.org/, which may be worth a visit [my apologies if you are already aware of these]. The EMGS support both EM and P4, and the Scalefour Society supports P4, but not all its members actually work in P4. Good luck!
Noel
Noel

Postby NCB » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi Graham

Welcome. Maybe a good question would be, do you think you'll like building track? Some people do (I do), and if you do then any of the three gauges are open to you. On the other hand, if you'll only be doing it out of necessity, then maybe it would become a chore, and sticking with OO could be best. The latest Peco 4mm track to 00 standards is a definite improvement. What you could do is take a look at the Criccieth track plan and see how close you could get to it just using Peco.

Maybe one answer is lay down a bit of test track, say a few feet with a point or two, in your proposed gauge and see how you get on with it. Convert a couple of wagons and a locomotive if it's not 00. Test track is always useful anyway.

What period were you thinking of?

Nigel
NCB

Postby Graham » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:56 am

Hi Noel

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes I am aware of the EM and P4 societies. Didn't know there is also an 00 one.

Hi Nigel

I have done a small amount of track building in the past and would consider building the whole layout in this case. Commercially available components would help with the harder bits such as crossings of course. Peco may be an option - it depends on the space I eventually* have for the layout and what compromises I need to make with the track plan. The prototype is on a curve pretty much from end to end so set track would be an issue but if I straighten things out then Peco could probably be made to work. Period is the Grouping, I'm trying to get a more specific date but need more research into the date of a station building revamp. Sometime in GW days the main station building was extended.

*A house move is likely in 2019 and until that's happened I won't know where the railway will be.
Regards
Graham
Graham

Postby Newport_rod » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Graham wrote:Commercially available components would help with the harder bits such as crossings of course.

If you do consider the P4 route then the Exactoscale point kits might be a good option. They might not follow GWR or Cambrian practice, but they do look good and if there are suitable kits in their range then they do make life easier.
Visit the website of Llanastr, my Layout http://llanastr.webs.com/ or my club http://www.newportmrs.co.uk

Hoff Rheilffyrdd Aberhonddu a Merthyr Tydfil yw y gorau sydd yng Nghymru - Twm Glan Crawnon 1865
Newport_rod

Postby Graham » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks for that Rod.

There are a lot of unknowns for me at the moment as I don't know what sort of railway room I will have. All I can do at the moment is as much research as possible.
Regards
Graham
Graham

Postby Tanat Valley » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:29 pm

I would start by working out how much space the prototype takes up. Criccieth’s layout is long and thin! I know of very few photographs of the goods shed and yard. I do have 2 postcards, taken from the castle, which show all of the layout in the Grouping period. Of interest are the coal wagons in the yard. Both are Wigan coalfield wagons as it would appear to be the nearest source of house coal so would have come in via Afon Wen.
Alan Rhodes
(HMRS Cambrian Railways Steward)
Tanat Valley

Postby Graham » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi Alan

Thanks for the post. I see you are "my" line steward. Haven't got time right now to send a long post but will be in touch with more info sometime next week.

Regards
Graham
Regards
Graham
Graham

Next

Return to Modelling Welsh Railways