Cambrian Railways open wagon

Locomotives, coaches, and wagons

Cambrian Railways open wagon

Postby NeilB » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:30 pm

I have come across a 7mm scale drawing of a Cambrian high-sided [four planks, 3'6" high] merchandise wagon in a copy of the Railway Modeller from the early 1970's. The drawing is by Ken Werrett and was apparently made from measurements taken in 1920 - the drawing has the later style of company title with "Cambrian" in full, rather than "Cam Rys". It carries the running number 1014 and is 15'0" over headstocks with a 9'0" wheelbase and what look to be single-sided brakes; the underframe appears to be wooden. It is also fitted with a sheet support.

I'd be grateful to know whether this was a design which appeared in any quantity; and also whether there were examples built, or modified, without the sheet support.
NeilB

Re: Cambrian Railways open wagon

Postby NCB » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:46 pm

I've a copy of a Cambrian general arrangement drawing for a 4 plank wagon, exactly as you describe except that it shows a running number of 100. I obtained the copy from the BR/OPC project; copies can now be obtained from the NRM. The drawing is dated 29th January 2015. I've no idea if the Cambrian had such wagons before this date, but I'd be surprised if they didn't. You might be able to obtain further information from the RMweb topics Pre-grouping Railways or The Railways of Wales; there are some contributors with Cambrian knowledge there.

Cambrian Models do a kit for this in 4mm scale, and there's some information in http://www.cambrianmodels.co.uk/gwwagons.html. They state that the sheet rail is optional, some with it were used for transporting lime and some without for carrying timber.

If you do find more information, particularly as regards dates, it would be useful if you could publish it here.

Cheers
Nigel
NCB

Postby NeilB » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:25 pm

Thanks Nigel, most helpful. I assumed there might have been examples built or modified without sheet rails, but that's helpful confirmation.

I'll certainly post any further findings.

Neil
NeilB

Postby ChrisN » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:43 pm

I am not sure how helpful this will be after so long.

There were quite a number of 4 planks built according to a list that I have. The one in your drawing was built in 1917, and was built by Pickering. All other 4planks built by Pickering were in 1902. Why this was built by them later I do not know as the Cambrian were building their own from 1900.
ChrisN

Return to Rolling Stock