queries on old photos

Locomotives, coaches, and wagons

queries on old photos

Postby andrewnummelin » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:17 pm

I've just been going through a few things that have come to the Circle as part of the late Gerald Davies collection, and I've found a few things that really caught my eye for different reasons.

In an early photo of Pontypool:
GD-Pontypool-front399px.jpg
GD-Pontypool-front399px.jpg (88.15 KiB) Viewed 53 times

1. Why is there a loco at what appears to be the rear of the train?
2. Has anyone information on the John J. Murphy wagon? I've not come across this company before.

In a post card of Ebbw Vale (undated, produced in Ebbw Vale):
GD-EbbwVale-front399px.jpg
GD-EbbwVale-front399px.jpg (114.03 KiB) Viewed 53 times

Can anyone offer information about the coaches?

In an image, probably from Cyfarthfa Castle and taken by Robert Thompson Crawshay in the 1870s:
1399vvv399px.jpg
1399vvv399px.jpg (72.17 KiB) Viewed 53 times

Can anyone identify any of the stock? It's not common to see a goods break van between loco and passenger coaches. (The viaduct has 7 arches.)

Sorry the detail is not as good as I would wish as the forum only allows images up to 400 pixels wide.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin
Secretary
andrewnummelin

Re: queries on old photos

Postby Noel » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:44 pm

andrewnummelin wrote:Sorry the detail is not as good as I would wish as the forum only allows images up to 400 pixels wide.

Are you sure, Andrew? I seem to remember bigger photos than that have been posted previously. As it is the posted versions are a bit too small to be useful, at least for the long distance shots.
Noel
Noel

Postby andrewnummelin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:52 am

Noel wrote:
andrewnummelin wrote:Sorry the detail is not as good as I would wish as the forum only allows images up to 400 pixels wide.

Are you sure, Andrew? I seem to remember bigger photos than that have been posted previously. As it is the posted versions are a bit too small to be useful, at least for the long distance shots.

This is the error message I received:

The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 400 pixels wide and 400 pixels high. The submitted image is 5415 pixels wide and 1660 pixels high.

There's also a 2MB limit on file size.

Rob plans to put them in the next Newsletter: they should be clearer there.
Last edited by andrewnummelin on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin
Secretary
andrewnummelin

Postby Noel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:15 pm

There are two examples here http://wrrc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1016 of larger images. Both are well within the 2Mb limit [which is, incidentally, much larger than a 400 x 400 pixel image is going to be], but the map is 1600 x 636 pixels and the photograph is 1140 x 646. Assuming that the forum's limits have not been changed recently, the logical conclusion would seem to be that the error message is not from the forum or only relates to one particular method of inserting images. Perhaps the webmaster could shed some light on this?
Noel
Noel

Return to Rolling Stock