DMU destination indication

Timetables, traffic, industries served, operational issues

DMU destination indication

Postby RobMeades » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:29 pm

Stupid question I'm afraid: when a [class 116] DMU is on it's way to, say, Rhymney on the Rhymney Valley line, the destination indication above the front cab will say "Rhymney". Would the destination indication on the rear be adjusted to also say "Rhymney" or might it be left saying "Cardiff" (or whatever).

I'm close to finishing a Gauge 1 model of an all-blue livery class 116 DMU that would have run on the Rhymney valley line in the 1960's/70's and I need to know what to put on the destination indication as one ran north-bound through Ystrad Mynach.
RobMeades

Re: DMU destination indication

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:08 pm

I suspect that the answer depended upon the diligence of the driver on duty at the time. I believe officially that both destination displays are meant to show the same station for the benefit of passengers approaching from the front or the rear of the train. I have seen the guard change the rear destination indicator, on its way from Barry to Barry Island, from Barry Island to Merthyr Tydfil before reaching its destination. This is presumably to save the driver time from having to change it himself when he changes cabs at the terminus, thus facilitating a short turnaround time.
Pont-y-Gwaith
Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Re: DMU destination indication

Postby RobMeades » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:58 am

Understood: I guess there are probably some rules/guidelines that would state that both destination signs need to say the same thing. I thought it might be cute to have "Rhymney" on one end of my DMU and "Cardiff" on the other end, and I still might do that, just wanted to be prepared when questioned by a diligent modeller.
RobMeades

Return to Railway Operation