passenger services between Pontypridd, Machen and Newport

Timetables, traffic, industries served, operational issues

Re: passenger services between Pontypridd, Machen and Newpor

Postby andrewnummelin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:34 pm

Penrhos1920 wrote:
According to Kidner The Rhymney Rly, p.40 there was a GWR service from 21st August 1920 Newport, Penrhos, Pontypridd, Carmarthen, etc. running over 6 railway companies lines in addition to their own.

In WRA vol.III,p.38 also mentions this train. P.72 discusses what happened in 1920. It also has ‘Through tourist service ‘ via the same route.

This morning I was going though Colin Chapman's notes on the B&MR and noted the following on page 129 of file CN.pdf that is attributed to the Directors' Minute Book 1912-1922 PRO RAIL 65.10
CNpage129.jpg
CNpage129.jpg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 155 times

So it appears the service was not a success.
I regret that I do not have the WRA's you refer to, only Harold Morgan's "THROUGH COACH WORKING FROM SOUTH WALES TO ABERYSTWYTH.doc". I'll try to look at the WRA's on Tuesday.

Interestingly Colin's notes on the B&MR record the start of the RR motor services between Caerphilly and Machen but I didn't spot anything on the intermediate halts nor any changes to the service. Perhaps there's something in Colin's notes on the Rhymney Railway that I hope to start reading tomorrow. The B&MR directors' minutes did record the extension of the ADR service to Machen in 1917.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin
Secretary
andrewnummelin

Postby Penrhos1920 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:30 pm

I think that the GWR services were summer only. Generally late July to late September.

PS I’ve added some dates to my previous post that I forgot to include.
Richard
Modelling the Alexandra (Newport & South Wales) Docks & Railway, Barry Railway and Rhymney Railway at Penrhos Junctions in SF4.
GWR short (4 & 6) coaches.
http://www.penrhos.me.uk

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:29 pm

In 1910 the Rhymney operated 1 autotrailer that ran Caerphilly-Machen & Caerphilly-Senghenydd. The ANDR ran 2 autotrailers that were required to operate Pontypridd-Caerphilly. This information comes from a questionnaire by T Hurry Riches that he submitted to the International Railway Congress Association in 1910. The ANDR also stated that ‘we run supplementary trains worked by locomotives when specially needed’. The RR wrote ‘On bank holidays, fete days etc, when there a great rush of passengers, the motor cars are put aside, replacing them by trains handed by locomotives.’
Modelling the Alexandra (Newport & South Wales) Docks & Railway, Barry Railway and Rhymney Railway at Penrhos Junctions in SF4.
GWR short (4 & 6) coaches.
http://www.penrhos.me.uk

Penrhos1920

Previous

Return to Railway Operation