Glais to Ynisygeinon

Buildings, civil engineering works, track work, signalling, etc.

Glais to Ynisygeinon

Postby andrewnummelin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:59 pm

I've received the following request:
I don’t know if you help me but I am researching the Glais to Ynisygeinon Sidings and in particular the width of the track between Glais junction box following Ynys Y Mond Road.
Would you have that detail or could you point me in the right direction? I have researched several books and the national archives but no joy.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Ted Crook

I've suggested old maps (National Libraries), local archives and the Midland Railway Society. Can any of you help further?
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin
Secretary
andrewnummelin

Re: Glais to Ynisygeinon

Postby Noel » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:27 pm

R A Cooke - Track Layout Diagrams of the GWR and BR WR, section 53 -Swansea Vale LIne indicates single track from Glais Junction SB through to Pontardawe South SB, apart from several sets of colliery sidings, the location and size of which varied over time. The width of the formation over that distance will doubtless have varied somewhat, so I assume it isn't that he is asking about. Or have I missed the point completely?

Regards
Noel
Noel
Noel

Postby s.w.johnson » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:06 pm

I have to declare an interest here but if you obtain a copy of the Swansea Vale Railway book from Lightmoor / Black Dwarf, there are copies of the Midland Railway's 2 chain plans in there for the complete section from Glais to Ynisygeinon Sidings. As Andrew says, it was predominantly single track.
s.w.johnson

Postby andrewnummelin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Thanks guys, I'll pass your responses on.
Following further clarification about the request, I suspect that only satellite, or other mapping, photography would supply the information needed, but I'm pretty sure this was not available historically!
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin
Secretary
andrewnummelin

Return to Railway Infrastructure