Making arrangements for an unfinished book

To provide an informal atmosphere for Welsh Railways Writers' at all stages.

Making arrangements for an unfinished book

Postby Todwriter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:14 am

I hope members may be able to suggest a way forward. For many years I've been working on a book, on and off, called "British Eight-Coupled Tank locomotives". I'm 70 now and have been talking to my family about "arrangements" when the time comes although I'm still in good health, I hasten to add!

Eight-coupled tanks were of course particularly associated with South Wales, but not exclusively so. The book has a lot of text written but there are still gaps in it and I've done little about assembling photographs. Apart from preservation shots of my own these will all be copyright and permission will need to be sought. This is not really a mainstream subject and finding a publisher might be difficult. I suppose I'm looking for a co-author who would be willing to take over and complete the work as it would be a shame to waste all the work put in.

I have some experience of getting a book published. Venture Publications brought out my book "Yorkshire Joint Omnibus Committees" a couple of years ago. These go back to 1929, whereas copyright ownership might be more difficult to establish for locomotive photographs going back to the 1860s.

Any ideas would be welcome

Geoff Kerr
Littleborough
Lancs
membership no. 585
Todwriter

Re: Making arrangements for an unfinished book

Postby Noel » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:27 pm

I can't help with your problem, I'm afraid, but I wanted to offer thanks for "Yorkshire JOCs", which I have, although it's well outside my normal area of interest. I found it both informative and interesting, a good read.

Noel
Noel
Noel

Postby wokmad » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:27 pm

I started on a similar project many, many years ago, but eventually gave up and concentrated on a railway company which had a higher proportion of 8-coupled tank engines in its locomotive stock (23%) than any other. However, I did manage to accumulate a large number of photographs of all examples of these engines, both pre- and post-grouping, far more than would be needed to illustrate a book. I would be happy to lend you these for you to make a selection for your proposed book.

I do not think you should worry too much about copyright issues. First of all the owner of an image has to demonstrate it is still in copyright, which definitely does not apply to one taken in 1860, and secondly to prove that such copyright has been properly transferred to him/her. If you are at all concerned about copyright you should seek expert advice. You could start with Neil Parkhouse at Lightmoor Press. A more pressing issue could be reproduction fees, which can be extortionate, e.g. the NRM.

If you would like to pursue my offer further, please contact me outside the Forum.

Robin Simmonds
wokmad

Postby Todwriter » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks for your comments, Robin. Reproduction fees from local authority archives/libraries can also be high but for the early classes it may not be possible to avoid them as there are so few photographs.

Also glad you enjoyed the JOC book, Neil. I'm also from Bristol but have not lived there for many years.
Todwriter

Return to Publications Working Group