South East Wales Passenger Services Map 1920

Books magazines and DVDs

South East Wales Passenger Services Map 1920

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 pm

A copy of a diagrammatic map of the above is now available in the Members' Section of the website. If you have any suggestions, comments or corrections to the map then please feel free to post them here. A reference or an authority would also be useful.
Pont-y-Gwaith
Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Re: South East Wales Passenger Services Map 1920

Postby Noel » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 pm

May I offer the following, please, all quite minor, in the interest of accuracy?

The line north from Eardisley to Titley was owned and operated by the GWR, and is therefore the wrong shade of green.

There was no passenger service between Coed Ely and Hendreforgan, the Gilfach service reversing at the latter station and continuing to Blackmill and Tondu. [The Ely Valley Railway, Colin Chapman p62, reference to "the freight-only section between Hendreforgan and Gellyrhaidd Junction".]

The south to east connection [shown in black] between Cardiff Riverside and Cardiff General did not exist. The two were in reality effectively one station, and Riverside was later regarded as part of General. Maps show that their geographical relationship would not permit such a connection except on foot.

Noel
Noel
Noel

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Thank you Noel for your interest in the map and for your very helpful comments.

Some of the difficulties arise from the electronic reproduction of the map which can be misleading. Not all computers interpret the colours in the same way. The Eardisley to Titley is, as you say, Great Western and the colour is intended to reflect that. We have done a test print on paper and the colour is as it should be.

Regarding the Cardiff General/Riverside point, the line between the two is intended to indicate a foot connection between the two by means of a white line with black borders. Unfortunately the computer has filled in the line giving the impression of it being a railway line instead. Once again, this is a lot clearer on the printed version.

Your point concerning the Gilfach service is extremely interesting and helpful, and thank you for your reference. This is exactly the sort of correction I was hoping to receive and I shall amend the map accordingly in due course.

Thanks again for your keen-eyed observations.
Pont-y-Gwaith
Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Postby Noel » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Rhobat Bryn wrote:Some of the difficulties arise from the electronic reproduction of the map which can be misleading. Not all computers interpret the colours in the same way. The Eardisley to Titley is, as you say, Great Western and the colour is intended to reflect that. We have done a test print on paper and the colour is as it should be.

The colour on the Titley line was the only GW one which was different on my screen. I have also checked on a second machine using a different version of Windows [but the same version of Adobe, admittedly], with the same result, which does suggest to me that there may be a difference in the original file.

Rhobat Bryn wrote:Regarding the Cardiff General/Riverside point, the line between the two is intended to indicate a foot connection between the two by means of a white line with black borders. Unfortunately the computer has filled in the line giving the impression of it being a railway line instead. Once again, this is a lot clearer on the printed version.

May I suggest that this foot connection should be separately included in the colour key?

My apologies if I seem to be being pedantic over minor points, but to me the map is the sort of useful item for which the natural presentation methods are by publication on the internet, or by means a file download or e-mail attachment, rather than primarily via the inherently less flexible printed copy.

Noel
Noel
Noel

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:28 pm

I have checked with a colleague regarding the colour (being slightly colour blind myself) and he has confirmed that the Eardisley to Titley is in Cambrian colours rather than GWR as it should be. This will therefore be amended accordingly.

I note your suggestion of a separate entry of a foot connection in the legend which I agree with. We will be discussing the map at the Committee next Tuesday so I will raise the issue of the problems encountered with computer presentation then.

My hope is that this map will become the authoritative version of passenger services at the time; the only way to achieve this is through persistent pedantry from all concerned. No apologies for pointing out the deficiencies in the map is therefore required.
Pont-y-Gwaith
Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:17 pm

One member at the AGM today (6th June) believed that there was a station missing from the map, namely St Athan Road on the Taff Vale branch between Llanbethery Halt and Aberthaw. After conducting a little research, I can say that he was absolutely correct. St Athan Road was opened on 1st October 1892 and closed on the 4th May 1926 due to the General Strike. It reopened on 11th July 1927 only to close finally some three years later on 5th May 1930. It should therefore have appeared on the map for 1920. This will be amended for subsequent editions.

Many thanks to the gentleman for pointing this out. I'd be grateful if you could identify yourself so that I can know your name for next time.
Pont-y-Gwaith
Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Return to Publications