New Books

Books magazines and DVDs

New Books

Postby RichardHC » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:45 am

I had a quick look around the Ian Allan bookshop in Manchester the other day. The following two books seem to be new on the market as I haven't seen them mentioned elsewhere.

Talyllyn and Corris Steam Locomotives: Volume 1, Pre-preservation and Manufacturers
, Martin Fuller, 268 pages, published by Sara Eade, ISBN 978 0 956565 25 9, £38.50.

Bala Junction to Blaenau Festiniog: Scenes from the Past 25 – Railways of North Wales, D W Southern assisted by Norman Jones, 144 pages, published by Booklaw, ISBN 978 1 909625 37 2 £23.99.
(Updated and enlarged edition of a book first published by Foxline in 1995.)

Just in time to get them on your Christmas list!
RichardHC

Re: New Books

Postby RichardHC » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:29 pm

I have just come across this book which was published at the end of November.

A North Wales Railway Travelogue, Donald Peddie, 2014, softback, 96 pages, 276mm x 215mm, Lightmoor Press, ISBN 978 1 899889 92 1, £10.00
Photographs from the late 1950’s and early 1960’s taken by the author’s father. Standard gauge lines in North Wales (Llandudno Junction, Aberystwyth, Machynlleth, Afon Wen etc), heritage narrow gauge lines and the slate quarry systems still in operation.

Order from your usual bookseller or direct from the Lightmoor Press - [url]lightmoor.co.uk[/url]
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Yet another book of Welsh interest, published at the end of October I think.

Cardiff Canton Diesel Depot and Locomotive Duties, Steve Morris, 2014, paperback, 96 pages, Ty Mawr Publications (45 Danefield Road, Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, CW4 7NS) ISBN 978 0 955235 47 4, £12.95 (plus £1.50 p&p) (Cheques payable to ‘S Morris’)
The first edition of this book was published eight years ago. With the 50th anniversary of opening the depot this year Ty Mawr Publications have re-printed a small number of copies and provide an update on the current situation with regard to the site. This has resulted in a couple of pages being amended. In addition the opportunity has been taken to update some of the captions, tidy up a few parts and correct some minor faults that were present in the original version. Comprising 96 pages with over 160 images, the majority in colour, this book covers the history of Cardiff Canton Diesel depot since opening in September 1964 right up to the present day following over fifty years continuous service.

RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:21 am

The Middleton Press are reprinting a number of their Welsh titles. The latest ones issued at the end of November are:
Brecon to Neath including Ystradgynlais (ISBN 978 1 904474 43 2)
Brecon to Newport including the Dowlais Central branch (ISBN 978 1 904474 16 6)
These two titles are by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith in association with Dave Edge. As usual these are hardbacks (laminated boards), 96 pages (240 x 174mm), 120 b/w photographs with maps, plans, tickets, timetables, etc. The cover price is £17.95.
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:16 am

A couple of new items have just come to my notice.

Alan Godfrey maps have produced a reprint of the large scale Ordnance Survey map for Swansea (North) for 1897. There is a lot of railway interest including Landore High Level and Low Level Stations and Upper Bank Station. The ISBN is 978 1 84784 859 8. The cost is £2.50 and the postage is £1.50. The publisher's address is Alan Godfrey Maps, Prospect Business Park, Leadgate, Consett, DH8 7PW or order through their websitehttp://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk.

Oakwood Visuals (part of the Oakwood Press) have produced a 90 minute DVD on the Vale of Rheidol Railway titled Vale of Rheidol Railway Through the Years and features the L T Catchpole collection. The cost is £18.95 including postage in the UK. Full details are on the Oakwood Press website http://www.oakwoodpress.co.uk. Their postal address is The Oakwood Press and Oakwood Visuals, PO Box 13, USK, NP15 1YS

Please mention the WRRC if you order either of these items.
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:56 pm

I have just come across this book from a publisher not usually associated with railway titles:

On the Edge: Coastlines of Britain, Robert Duck, 240pp, 216 x 138mm, 55 colour illustrations, paperback, Edinburgh University Press, The Tun, Holyrood Road,12 (2f) Jackson’s Entry, Edinburgh EH8 8PJ, 2015, ISBN 978 0 74869 762 5, £19.99 (Hardback ISBN 978 0 74869 761 8, £75.00)

The publisher claims it is the first evaluation of the physical impact of railway construction on the British coast.

The building of railways has had a profound but largely ignored physical impact on Britain’s coasts. This book explores the coming of railways to the edge of Britain, the ruthlessness of the companies involved and the transformation of our coasts through the destruction or damage to the environment. Among others looks at the Barmouth to Pwllheli line as well as some of the obvious ones in England such as the South Devon line at Dawlish and the Cumbrian Coast line.
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Thu May 07, 2015 8:22 am

The following book was published this last weekend:
How Railways Changed Britain: A New Social and Economic History, Edited by David St. John Thomas, Hardback, 232 pages, 250 x 175mm, 25 colour & 25 b&w illustrations, 3 maps, Published by the Railway & Canal Historical Society, 4 Broadway, Lincoln, LN2 1SH, ISBN 978 0 901461 63 6, £25.00
Orders may be made by post or placed on-line at http://www.rchs.org.ukor through your local bookseller. Despatch to UK is by 1st class post – FREE; Europe airmail add 15%; rest of world airmail add 30%)
Railways played a pivotal role in changing the nature of Britain and of British life. In a mere 30 years following the opening of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway, the country was transformed with astonishing speed and they became the symbol of the age. Travel was no longer at the pace of a horse, few towns of any size were remote from rail communication. Goods could be moved great distances with relative ease. Holidays in once distant resorts became feasible, and innovation replaced stagnation.
This book celebrates that change in a new and different way, with contributions by a team of authors whose pooled knowledge and enthusiasm is boundless. They look at railways in the context of social and economic history in a way that helps one think again. Subjects covered include the era before the first main lines, the role of railways in Britain’s transition to modernity, the ‘Leisure Revolution’, the financing of railways, urban expansion, the changing relationship between government and railways, employment history, railways in the country and their impacts as a business enterprise on the economy and society.
How Railways Changed Britain was conceived and edited by David St John Thomas, author and publisher. It is dedicated to his memory, as sadly he died during the final stages of its preparation.
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Fri May 29, 2015 9:09 am

I have just come across this new book:
Festiniog Fireman 1960s, Christopher Tanous, 2015, hardback, 96 pages, colour illustrations, Shrew Dale Publishing, 978 0 9575898 2 7, £19.99.
(Publisher’s description) [i]The Author has been a professional railwayman, but eight years learning the ropes on hundreds of British Railways locomotives gave him the experience to be accepted as a fireman on the Festiniog Railway in 1966. Over the next six years he worked on all the FR's then operational steam locomotives, still coal fired, and laid the foundations for his lifetime of footplate work on many heritage railways, firing a wide variety of locos and becoming a qualified engine driver. In this book he describes what it was like to work on the FR with some remarkable characters, from the world-famous Bill Hoole to the full time professional BR fireman who used their precious holidays to fire narrow gauge locos on one of the very few heritage lines then operating in the U.K. With the Deviation being built there were many years to wait before its triumphant return to Blaenau Festiniog: the railway still had the informal character of its early pioneering days. Fortunately the author used top of the range cameras and the book is richly illustrated with high quality colour photos, many taken from very privileged viewpoints. It also has many useful tips for would -be heritage line fireman.
[/i]
I don't have the publisher's contact details but the book is available from Amazon, Ian Allan bookshops and Bill Hudson's Transport Bookshop amongst others.
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:52 pm

I am just drawing together a list of New Books for the next WRRC newsletter. If you know of any books on Welsh Railways from a smaller publisher, railway society, history group, etc. that I may have missed please let me know. You can reply here or my contact details are in recent WRRC Newsletters. Richard Coulthurst.
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:05 pm

I have heard about a recently published book with the title "Britain's Least Used Stations" by David Brewer. It may be privately published. Does anyone have any further information i.e. price, ISBN, ordering information, etc that they could share on this forum?
RichardHC

Next

Return to Publications