New Books

Books magazines and DVDs

Re: New Books

Postby RichardHC » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:34 pm

I have just come across this book published late last year to commemorate the closure of the MT&A in 1957.

The Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway by Chris Barber, Amberley Publishing, ISBN 978 1 44566 328 9, 2017, Softback, 96 pages, 233 x 167mm, colour & b/w illustrations, £14.99.

The publisher's blurb says: "The construction of the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway was a remarkable engineering achievement. Not only was it one of the most spectacular railways in Britain, but it was also one of the most difficult to build, and its long and steep gradients made it one of the most expensive to operate. The section through the Clydach Gorge was particularly dramatic with the line twisting and turning, but climbing steadily along a ledge cut above the deep valley. The MT&A is remembered with much nostalgia, for in those days, Abergavenny was a thriving and important railway centre with three stations and the town was alive with a symphony of sounds such as the clang of hammers, the hiss of steam, whistles tooting and wheels clattering over joints and points. When railway activity in Abergavenny reached its peak, there were over a thousand people employed in jobs associated with this form of transport. Chris Barber has compiled this richly illustrated book to commemorate the sixtieth anniversary of the closure of this much loved railway in 1957. The last journey on the line took place almost a hundred years after the railway was first proposed, and if it still existed today, it would undoubtedly be a popular tourist attraction."

Some of the photographs are of what remains today. Seems very reasonably priced.
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:00 pm

I have just come across references to this new book:

Memories of Railway Journeys in Wales, 1961 - 1964 by Peter Barnfield, softback, 112 pages, Wild Swan Publications, ISBN 978 1 912038 69 5, £14.95

I haven't actually seen this book but apparently it concentrates on South and Mid Wales and is illustrated with black & white photographs.

If anyone has bought the book can they provide further details here and/or perhaps do a review for the WRRC Newsletter?
RichardHC

Postby Newport_rod » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Richard

I bought a copy of Memories of Railway Journeys in Wales, 1961 - 1964 from Wild Swan at the Bristol O Gauge bash in January.

The book is a pleasant personal history with a good variety of good quality photos from the period, concentrating on the Cambrian, W&Ll, Mid Wales, Central Wales, HH&B, MT&A area and, most importantly, the B&MR. Recommended to anyone whose interests coincide with the subject matter.

Rod
Visit the website of Llanastr, my Layout http://llanastr.webs.com/ or my club http://www.newportmrs.co.uk

Hoff Rheilffyrdd Aberhonddu a Merthyr Tydfil yw y gorau sydd yng Nghymru - Twm Glan Crawnon 1865
Newport_rod

Postby RichardHC » Fri May 25, 2018 8:59 am

Three recently published books from the Lightmoor Press that will be of interest to WRRC members:

The Broad Gauge Engines of the Great Western Railway - Part 1: 1837 – 1840, The Rev. Canon Brian Arman, Lightmoor Press, 978 1 911038 36 8, Card covers, 144 pages, 275 x 215mm, £22.50.

Ivor Higgon’s Cambrian Diary, Gwyn Briwnant Jones, Lightmoor Press, 978 1 911038 38 2, Card covers, 72 pages, 275 x 215mm, £10.00.
An album of photographs taken by Ivor Higgon around the Cambrian Railways lines and Mid Wales from 1924 to 1967.

The Shrewsbury and Welshpool Railway (including the Minsterley Branch), Bob Yate, Lightmoor Press, 978 1 911038 34 4, 96 pages, 275 x 215mm, £12.00.

These look up to the usual Lightmoor standard and are quite modestly priced.

I am not intending to buy these myself but if anyone has done so perhaps they could do a book review here or for the Newsletter.
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Two more books from Graffeg in their Lost Lines of Wales series have arrived. I intend to provide a review in the next newsletter but in the meantime here are the basic details:

Bangor to Afon Wen 978 1 91221 311 5
Rhyl to Corwen 978 1 91221 310 8

The authors are Paul Lawton and David Southern.

They are both hardbacks (laminated boards), 64 pages, 150 x 200mm, with monochrome and colour photographs.

The cover price is £8.99 for each book.

The books are available from your local bookshop or on-line from the publisher http://www.graffeg.com.

Later this year Graffeg will be publishing two more titles in the series Conway Valley Line and The Heads of the Valleys Line and next year to publish Newport to Hereford, Hereford to Shrewsbury, Srrewsbury to Chester in a new series called Lost Lines of England and Wales. Also forthcoming next year will be Swansea to Llandrindod Well and Llandrindod Wells to Craven Arms.

For those interested in trams Graffeg are also publishing an new series called Lost Tramways of Britain which will include titles such as Cardiff, Swansea and Mumbles, North Wales and South Wales and the Valleys. Check the publisher's website for the latest information.
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:57 am

I have just come across this book although I think it was published last year.

The Nostalgia Collection 50: Railways & Recollections: The Llangollen Railway by Alan Price, published by Silver Link. Paperback, 64 pages, 167 x 238mm, colour photographs, map. ISBN 978 1 85794 508 9. £8.00
RichardHC

Postby RichardHC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 am

Another modestly priced book which was published in June this year (2018)

Railways & Recollections: The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway (The Nostalgia Collection No. 62) by Mike Heath, paperback, 48pp, 238 x 167mm, b/w & colour photographs, map, Silver Link. ISBN 978 1 85794 466 2, £6.00

As usual I ask you to support your local bookseller whenever possible. If they don't have it in stock they can order it for you. It helps them if you quote the ISBN.
RichardHC

Postby wokmad » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:49 pm

TRACKmaps (http://www.trackmaps.co.uk) have just published the latest edition of their Railway Track Diagrams, Book 3, Western & Wales, ISBN 978-1-9996271-0-2. This is a little different from the previous edition in that it covers the whole of Wales, as per their website:

“Western & Wales covers the network from London Paddington into South Wales and the West Country plus the lines in Central and North Wales previously in Book 4. For the first time, it also includes the Crossrail Central Core through London. A number of Heritage and narrow gauge lines also appear. Please note: It no longer includes connecting lines into other regions such as the Chiltern lines to Banbury and the Southern lines to Yeovil that appeared in previous editions.”

Cover price is £12.95 plus postage.

Robin Simmonds
wokmad

Postby s.w.johnson » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Lightmoor / Black Dwarf have a new book out - "A Gazetteer of South Wales Collieries" by R.A. Cooke. If the author's name sounds familiar it is because he also does the track diagram books. The cost is £30. For that you get a set of maps covering all of South Wales from Pembrokeshire to Monmouthshire, showing the location and names of mines (drifts and pits) where known. Photographs from the Parkhouse / Pope collection and lists, etc. The amount of work that has gone into producing this book is enormous.

I had a good look at the Swansea Vale, an area I know well, and there are quite a lot of things in the book I wasn't aware of (never end a sentence with a preposition!!). Although it's not about railways, the reason for the existence of most of the South Wales railways was coal and so this is well worth buying. Strongly recommended.
s.w.johnson

Postby s.w.johnson » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 pm

I should add to the above that the bulk of the information is on a CD.
s.w.johnson

PreviousNext

Return to Publications