Cambrian covered van drawings

Locomotives, coaches, and wagons

Cambrian covered van drawings

Postby NCB » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm

I have two Cambrian drawings for general-purpose covered vans, both of them from the BR/OPC collection via the NRM, and both vans fitted; one has a 9' wheelbase, the other 9' 4.5".

However, I have been looking for a drawing for an unfitted van, so far without success. Any ideas?

If the worst comes to the worst, I could always match a typical Cambrian unfitted underframe with one of the above bodies, but I'd prefer a proper drawing if possible.

Thanks
Nigel
NCB

Re: Cambrian covered van drawings

Postby Robert Wigley » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:15 pm

Nigel
Although I am not very familiar with the HMRS Cambrian Railway goods vehicle drawings, there is a Mike Morton-Lloyd drawing of a fitted goods van, image shown. However, the first entry on the second page of the "Goods Vans", is a drawing captioned "6 Ton, 9ft w/b, 16ft 6ins o/b". Unfortunately, no image available ay present and I have a feeling that "o/b" is their shorthand for outside bracing which may not be the style of prototype you have in mind.
Apologies if I am talking to the converted.
Regards Robert Wigley
Robert Wigley

Postby s.w.johnson » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:08 pm

I think some of Mike Lloyd's drawings are in the collection at Rhiwderin. Given his fondness for the Cambrian, I would be very surprised if he hadn't done a suitable drawing. He was a huge loss to the Circle, always helpful.
s.w.johnson

Postby NCB » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:14 pm

I've made a bit of progress with some help via RMWeb. It's been pointed out to me that drawing 8597 of the 9'4" wheelbase van has a note appended which reads:
15 sets with Morton's Brake Same as Low Goods
5 sets with Vacuum and Morton's Brake

So the drawing covers both fitted and unfitted vans, even though only the brake gear for the fitted van is drawn. One comment on RMWeb was that Morton on the Cambrian didn't mean what it is generally thought to mean, in that there's no obvious reversing clutch. In digging into this a bit, I wonder if "Morton" is a less specific phrase than normally assumed, and doesn't necessarily include levers on both sides of the wagon. Not sure what the "Low Goods" wagon referred to is.

In the same way, drawing 9023 of the 9' wheelbase van seems to cover both fitted and unfitted, as there are notes relating to length of buffer shank depending on whether fitted or not, even though only fitted brakes are shown.

Nigel
NCB

Postby andrewnummelin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:00 am

I've just unpacked some of my files after a house move and I've found:

Mike Lloyd drawing CAMW/7 which shows 6T van number 951. The drawing shows conventional single side brakes and through vacuum pipe - there is a note "screw coupling". Body 15'6" over headstocks, 9'0" wheelbase, height 10'5" and width 7'8". This corresponds to the photo on page 69 of C.C. Green's "Cambrian Railways Album". (The normal safety hangers for the brake gear are not on the drawing, in accordance with the photo.)

Mike Lloyd drawing of vacuum fitted van (clasp brakes, lever one site only) number 2474 was published (along with some others) in Railway Modeller volume 6(Aug 1955) p. 186. The wheelbase and body dimensions are the same as the above: buffer length is not given but scales to around 20". Not mentioned in the article, but this is from Mike's drawing CW3.

Maybe someone with the appropriate software could do some measurements, but my impression is that the buffer length of the van in Green's book is the same as that of the unfitted 2470 shown in figure 31 of Christiansen & Miller's Cambrian Railways volume II.

At first glance the bodies of the vans in the two photos are the same but closer examination shows that the planking (esp of doors) is different. Do the two GAs show any differences?
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin
andrewnummelin

Postby NCB » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Drawing 9023 (dated 16/7/1905) is very similar to the pic of 951 (dated 15/3/1904) . Planking very similar; the framing at the bottom of the planking on the sides seems a bit thicker in the drawing, and there are minor differences in the narrower bottom and top planks. The V hanger in the pic looks narrower than the V hanger (for the fitted brakes) in the drawing. Doors look the same. Presumably brake hangers were added before 951 entered service.

Drawing 8597 has rather different planking; looks as though narrower planking was being used.

Nigel
NCB

Return to Rolling Stock