Pwllgwaun Goods Yard, Pontypridd - Barry Railway

Buildings, civil engineering works, track work, signalling, etc.

Pwllgwaun Goods Yard, Pontypridd - Barry Railway

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:17 pm

Does anyone know if there are any photographs of the above Goods Yard in existence?
Pont-y-Gwaith
Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Re: Pwllgwaun Goods Yard, Pontypridd - Barry Railway

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:11 pm

This appears to be a photograph of Pwllgwaun Goods Yard taken from a close-up from the Britain from Above collection.

Can anyone explain what appear to be the protruberances emanating from the main body of the building?

Pwllgwaun Goods Shed.png
Pwllgwaun Goods Shed.png (708.76 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Pont-y-Gwaith
Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Postby Noel » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:35 pm

It's certainly consistent with a photograph from the north-east, with Seaton Street in the right foreground https://maps.nls.uk/view/102183309. That being so, we are looking at the road vehicle side of the goods shed; it is clearly too narrow for there to be inset bays for road vehicles under the main roof, so I think there are doors immediately within the walls, as with the shed at Barry https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/former-railway-goods-shed-barry-13311430, but with extended canopies to protect goods being loaded. I rather looks as though the building is asymmetric, and has been extended as well...
Noel
Noel

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Many thanks for your comments Noel, especially the reference to Barry Goods Shed in Hood Road. Next time I'm in the area, I'll pop round and have a look.

With regards your comments on the asymmetry of the building, the map below bears out what you say:

1915 map Pwllgwaun.jpg
1915 map Pwllgwaun.jpg (390.64 KiB) Viewed 44 times

The two canopies are shown as symmetrically placed at either end of the building. It would appear that the extension was to the south-east end as those two canopies are too close together to correspond to the image on the above map.

The one thing that I'm curious about is the triangular walls either side of the canopies which I presume were to protect the loading areas from the Pontypridd weather. Would these have been made of brick or wood? And are there other examples of such a feature on other buildings in the area?
Pont-y-Gwaith
Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Postby Noel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Rhobat Bryn wrote:The one thing that I'm curious about is the triangular walls either side of the canopies which I presume were to protect the loading areas from the Pontypridd weather. Would these have been made of brick or wood? And are there other examples of such a feature on other buildings in the area?

The shape inclines me to believe that wood would be the only option. So far as other buildings in the area is concerned, I don't know, I'm afraid. If I'm right about the canopies it would not be something that was common; I think I have seen a photograph of something similar somewhere unrelated to the Barry, which gave me the idea, but have no clue now where I saw it. Sorry.
Noel
Noel

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:49 am

No need to apologise Noel. Your insights have been very useful and helpful. Many thanks for taking the time to share them.
Pont-y-Gwaith
Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Return to Railway Infrastructure