Barry Railway Signal box nameplates

Buildings, civil engineering works, track work, signalling, etc.

Barry Railway Signal box nameplates

Postby Penrhos1920 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Does anyone have an original Barry RAIL signalbox nameplate? I want to know the key dimensions and material of construction. There has recently been one on eBay that was aluminium. I find it hard to believe that the Barry had aluminium nameplates in 1880!
Modelling the Alexandra (Newport & South Wales) Docks & Railway, Barry Railway and Rhymney Railway at Penrhos Junctions in SF4.
GWR short (4 & 6) coaches.
http://www.penrhos.me.uk

Penrhos1920

Re: Barry Railway Signal box nameplates

Postby Noel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 am

Industrial production of Aluminium started in 1856, but production was low and the result expensive. Bulk production started in 1888-90 and took off in the 20th century. I don't have, or know about, Barry railway cast signs, but think you're right to be suspicious of this; it sounds like something someone might have commissioned much more recently, when aluminium was cheap and freely available, and cast iron [which is what I would expect] was neither.
Noel
Noel

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Penrhos1920 wrote: I find it hard to believe that the Barry had aluminium nameplates in 1880!

The Barry didn't start operating until 1888.
Y Twyn - Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Postby Noel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:31 pm

The date given could be because it's a fraud, it could be down to a clueless seller, or it could just be a typo. It's not GWR [cast iron so far as I know] or BR [presumably colour coated steel]. If as advertised it seems most likely to me to be from the second half of the 20th century at the earliest.
Noel
Noel

Return to Railway Infrastructure