Viaduct at Maesycwmmer

Buildings, civil engineering works, track work, signalling, etc.

Viaduct at Maesycwmmer

Postby RobMeades » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi there. I'm building a Gauge One railway in my tiny (3.5 x 5.5 metres) front-garden. It will run a steam loco, a 56xx BR 0-6-2 tank engine, the type that might still have been running on the Rhymney Valley line in South Wales in 1964, the year I was born.

As well as being small, this garden has a 0.5 metre slope across the short dimension. Hence I need a viaduct on one side. I would like this viaduct to represent the viaduct across to Maesycwmmer in the Rhymney Valley, which was the view out of the front window of our house for all of my childhood.

Hence I would like to determine the [relative] dimensions of this viaduct's arches and the form of the brick work, so that I can at least nod to it in the model. Does anyone here happen to have any data on this, or know where I might find same?

Rob
http://www.meades.org/
RobMeades

Re: Viaduct at Maesycwmmer

Postby Penrhos1920 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Steam in South Wales, Derek Huntriss and Alan Jarvis, has a photo. The caption says 298yd long on 16 stone arches, 130' highland on a slight curve. The length would include the abutments, so I'd say the arches were 15yd and the piers 3D' wide.
Modelling the Alexandra (Newport & South Wales) Docks & Railway, Barry Railway and Rhymney Railway at Penrhos Junctions in SF4.
GWR short (4 & 6) coaches.
http://www.penrhos.me.uk

Penrhos1920

Re: Viaduct at Maesycwmmer

Postby RobMeades » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Many thanks, that coupled with this picture should be sufficient for me to get the model close enough. More of a "homage" than a reproduction.
RobMeades

Return to Railway Infrastructure