Pembroke Dock Engine Shed

Buildings, civil engineering works, track work, signalling, etc.

Pembroke Dock Engine Shed

Postby Pembrokelad » Tue May 16, 2017 7:11 pm

The Pembroke & Tenby Railway built this shed in 1864 and was 60ft by 30ft and was accessed from the western side of the station layout.
The GWR added a further 30ft length to in the early 1930s under the 1929 Guaranteed Loans Act and this was constructed of corrugated asbestos.
I recently managed to get a photograph which I think may have been taken in the early 1960s showing a 56xx near the entrance but the shot shows that there may have been a door or entrance at the eastern end of the shed.
I certainly do not recall an entrance at the eastern end of the shed and therefore wonder if it had been an accident with an engine running through or possibly carriages running through catch points as there was a carriage siding on the same side at the eastern end.
Any ideas as to what is what pkease?
Regards
Pembrokelad

Re: Pembroke Dock Engine Shed

Postby Newport_rod » Thu May 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Pembrokeshirelad, it might help if you post the pic [or part of it] so we can see what you're referring to.
Rod
Visit the website of Llanastr, my Layout http://llanastr.webs.com/, my club http://www.newportmrs.co.uk and the local area group of the Scalefour Society http://www.freewebs.com/nagnag/
Newport_rod

Postby Pembrokelad » Thu May 18, 2017 6:44 pm

This is a copy of the photograph I have.
I am certain it is Pembroke Dock as the SW board, the telegraph pole both on the left hand side with the wall separating the shed from BirdcageWalk are all correct for PD!
Regards
Pembroke Lad
Attachments
Pembroke Dock sheds c1963.png
Pembroke Dock sheds c1963.png (769.15 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Pembrokelad

Postby Pembrokelad » Thu May 18, 2017 9:32 pm

I have had another 'good look' at the photograph. I now think it is earlier than stated as it looks as if the extension added by the GWR isn't there which would date it pre 1931. I still think that the loco on the left is a 56xx though!
Regards
Pembrokelad

Postby Noel » Fri May 19, 2017 10:44 am

Agreed that it appears to be Pembroke Dock. However, I don't think it is a 56XX. The splasher is too big, and a 56XX splasher was horizontal on top and ran back to the tank front. The smoke box saddle has a square front corner and is vertical; the 56XX had a rounded front corner, and sloped outwards from the smokebox, and there is no evidence of the large toolbox they carried. The superheater header and the location of the second handrail knob don't look right either.
Noel

Postby Newport_rod » Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Noel wrote: I don't think it is a 56XX.

Off topic, but it looks like a 2251 to me
Rod
Visit the website of Llanastr, my Layout http://llanastr.webs.com/, my club http://www.newportmrs.co.uk and the local area group of the Scalefour Society http://www.freewebs.com/nagnag/
Newport_rod

Postby Pembrokelad » Fri May 19, 2017 7:12 pm

Looking at the photograph again, it does not appear to be a 56xx after all.
I do not know of any 2251s that were allocated to the area pre 1931.
However, looking at the Signal Records Society details for PD, there certainly was a run through on that line as shown in July 1902 (date of the sketch) so at least that part of the question is now answered.
Can anyone tell me what 2251s were allocated to west Wales from their conception with 2251 itself in March 1930?
That doesnt leave much time between a 2251 appearing at PD and the shed being extended!!
Regards
Pembroke Lad
Pembrokelad

Postby Noel » Sat May 20, 2017 10:30 am

According to John Copsey in GWR Journal 24, the first 2251 class allocated in the area were two from the 1934 batch (2271-80) which went to Carmarthen to work to Aberystwyth. One of the 1936 batch went to Whitland (2288). By 12/1938 Aberystwyth had 2, Carmarthen had 4 and Whitland had 1.

Noel
Noel

Postby Pembrokelad » Sun May 21, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks Noel,
It would appear that if it is a 2251 then it has already been turned since it is facing east.
Is it possible that the engine may have been on an excursion from say Swansea and they used a Landore based engine??
Does the GW Journal suggest that may be case if there are Landore based 2251s?
Regards and thanks for everyones help!
Pembroke Las
Pembrokelad

Postby Noel » Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm

The only other members of the class allocated in south Wales in the 12/1938 table are one each at Ebbw Junction and Duffryn Yard. I haven't re-read the article in detail, but the tables suggest that no Cardiff shed ever had any, whilst Landore had one around the end of WW2, with a few more arriving in the early 1950s. Tony Walmsley's "Shed by Shed" part 6 shows Swansea Victoria also had one, very briefly, in 1951, and confirms their absence from Cardiff sheds in BR days.

It's always possible, of course, that someone 'borrowed' a visiting engine for some reason. I can't comment on reboilered pre-group locos, but there doesn't seem to be anything else amongst Churchward or Collett locos which fits.
Noel

Next

Return to Railway Infrastructure