Garrett locos.

Timetables, traffic, industries served, operational issues

Garrett locos.

Postby clive » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:01 pm

The current (January 2016) edition of Railway Bylines has a nice photo of a Beyer-Garrett shunting engine at East Moors steel works in Cardiff. The caption states that there were only FOUR such locos in the UK. I have still to read from one of the earlier mags about the (not-dissimilar?) operation in Swansea. The current mag blames the works' restricted site for use of a B-G. Was this the only reason? Other sites would surely have been as cramped.
clive

Re: Garrett locos.

Postby Noel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:19 pm

The other two were at Sneyd Colliery near Stoke-on-Trent and Baddesley Colliery in Warwickshire http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/11/william_francis.htm. I don't know much about the East Moors and Sneyd Colliery locos, but the other two were for lines with both very sharp curves and very steep gradients, both together in the case of the Vivian site. Nothing larger than a short wheelbase 0-4-0 could work at Vivians site; for a more powerful single unit [to reduce double heading] articulation was unavoidable.

Noel
Noel
Noel

Postby RichardMaund » Sat May 28, 2016 11:48 am

Beyer-GarrAtt, surely. And presumably the discussion relates solely to privately (i.e. not main line railways) owned, standard gauge, shunting locos.
RichardMaund

Postby Noel » Sat May 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Clive referred specifically to
clive wrote: a Beyer-Garrett shunting engine at East Moors steel works in Cardiff. The caption states that there were only FOUR such locos in the UK
and I responded on that basis. There were minor differences, but they effectively formed a class of four very similar standard gauge locos. The LNER had the largest B-G in use in Britain, and the LMS had a class of 33, on the design of which Derby had overruled Beyers, with unfortunate results. I'm not very familiar with UK narrow gauge, but I don't think there were any such B-Gs operating in the UK until the relatively recent arrivals on the WHR.

Noel
Noel
Noel

Return to Railway Operation