Swansea St Thomas - Brynamman "Pull & Push" Trains

Timetables, traffic, industries served, operational issues

Swansea St Thomas - Brynamman "Pull & Push" Trains

Postby 87J » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:56 pm

I have just finished reading The Swansea Vale Railway - an excellent book - and there are a number of photos of the Pull & Push Jinty hauled trains on the Brynamman service. Does anyone know what specific coaches were used on this service at the end in the early 50's and for the specials such as the SLS Tour in 1955.

I have a photo of an ex-LNWR Auto coach Brake 2nd, W24489M at Swansea Victoria on 2nd Sept 1956 which I assume was used on the Pontardulais service. Were the auto-coaches on this service also used on the Brynamman service ?

My purpose for asking is to pull together an O Gauge Jinty + 2 coach "Pull & Push" train.

Thanks in advance for taking time to answer.
87J

Re: Swansea St Thomas - Brynamman "Pull & Push" Trains

Postby s.w.johnson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:01 pm

As one of the authors, I should be able to give you an answer but sadly my knowledge of carriage stock is not that good. All I can say is they were not Midland. I'll ask around my LNWR contacts and see if I can come up with an answer.
s.w.johnson

Postby s.w.johnson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 pm

The following information comes from Sandy Croall who knows more about carriages :-

First there's article on RMweb at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -pullpush/
... and post #9 confirms used on the Swansea - Brynamman service.

As I thought the Driving trailer is more than likely a D1856, which is available as a Perseverance kit.
The 9 compt all 3rd is I believe a D1784, or if a compo, then D1701.

BUT Basically I don't know.......
s.w.johnson

Postby 87J » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Thanks very much for responding. Just the sort of info I was looking for.

I can now hunt up some photos of the diagrams you mentioned and see if they match the coaches in the photos in your book.
87J

Return to Railway Operation