Coke Ovens shed - date of closure

Timetables, traffic, industries served, operational issues

Coke Ovens shed - date of closure

Postby chrisf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:17 pm

To assist a friend I need to know the date on which Coke Ovens shed was closed and its work transferred to Abercynon. Although I have looked in several potentially useful books the authors without exception found other matter more interesting and I have not so far come across the date that I seek. I'm guessing that it is around 1930 as other rationalisation took place in the Pontypridd area at that time. If someone learned can assist I will be most grateful!

Chris
chrisf

Re: Coke Ovens shed - date of closure

Postby Noel » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:21 pm

According to Roger Griffiths' "GWR Sheds in Camera", the railmotor shed closed in 1927 [being used as a carriage shed for the next seven years] and the locoshed on New Year's Eve 1933. Both had been demolished by 1936.
Noel

Re: Coke Ovens shed - date of closure

Postby Cwmtudu » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:09 am

Noel wrote:According to Roger Griffiths' "GWR Sheds in Camera", the railmotor shed closed in 1927 [being used as a carriage shed for the next seven years] and the locoshed on New Year's Eve 1933. Both had been demolished by 1936.

I'm sure that date is correct. All I can add is that in the February 1934 edition of the Great Western Railway magazine it is noted that 34 drivers, 33 firemen, 8 engine cleaners and 22 shed staff transferred from Coke Ovens to Abercynon, a few others going to other sheds.

John
Cwmtudu

Return to Railway Operation