Private owner wagons: Tirdonkin Colliery, Swansea

The place to discuss layouts, kits, modifications, exhibitions, etc.

Private owner wagons: Tirdonkin Colliery, Swansea

Postby Wagonworks_andy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Private owner wagons: Tirdonkin Colliery, Swansea.
Swansea Railway Modellers' Group is a member of the WRRC and commissions a limited-run private-owner wagon each year from Dapol. The wagons are for collieries in the Swansea area and do not replicate models which are currently available in ready-to-run form. Further - and uniquely - each wagon produced is modelled in all three major gauges: O, OO and N.
The WRRC has advised its members of our commissions before and, this year, to coincide with our Annual Show [Oct 7&8], we are producing the 'Tirdonkin Trio', a collection of three wagons, in different liveries, representing those used by the colliery throughout the years. These will be made available as a trio although a very small number may also be sold separately.
The illustrations attached show the artwork agreed by us and production will commence shortly. We anticipate delivery during early September but sales will commence until the 7th. October, at the Swansea Show. Advance orders are being taken however and advanced payment guarantees a reserved sale. Further details at https://srmg.org.uk/tirdonkin-trio/
Attachments
Tirdonkin1192.jpg
Tirdonkin1192.jpg (100.39 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Tirdonkin324.jpg
Tirdonkin324.jpg (110 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Tirdonkin284.jpg
Tirdonkin284.jpg (98.72 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Webmaster WRRC
Wagonworks_andy

Re: Private owner wagons: Tirdonkin Colliery, Swansea

Postby Noel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:09 pm

All well before my period of interest, but mild curiosity as to why you commission childrens' toys rather than models with some approach to accuracy...
Noel
Noel

Postby Newport_rod » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:45 am

Noel wrote:' toys rather than models with some approach to accuracy...

I guess the coverage of all three major scales is an important driver and to be fair the 7mm Dapol offering is fair, but unless Tirdonkin did really have steel framed wagons in all three periods (and that's before we look at dimensions), the 4mm is a non-starter for me.
Visit the website of Llanastr, my Layout http://llanastr.webs.com/ or my club http://www.newportmrs.co.uk

Hoff Rheilffyrdd Aberhonddu a Merthyr Tydfil yw y gorau sydd yng Nghymru - Twm Glan Crawnon 1865
Newport_rod

Postby Angus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:09 am

Oh, dear, dear, Noel!
"Children's toys"? ALL our models are "children's toys" to some extent.
The game is to make them LOOK as if they are miniature versions of the real thing - which of course they are not.
I know no-one who makes working 4mm leaf springs as the only springing for his wagons, or, in 4mm scale builds a wagon on a strictly scale chassis. At best, we do the bits which show.
The lettering of these Tirdonkin wagons looks excellent and in a rake of South-west Wales wagons would play their part well - if your personal compromise accepts some crudity/errors in the underframe. If it bothers you, resolve to do better next time - and good luck to you!.
Angus

Postby Noel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Yes, possibly I went a bit OTT, Angus, but Dapol are not a manufacturer for which I have much respect.

So far as their wagons are concerned, the O gauge version is not a bad attempt at a 1927 RCH wooden u/frame wagon, apart from the mess they have made of the brakegear. How they did that when just about everyone else gets it right, I don’t know.

There are two OO versions, one with steel underframe, which according to Dapol is a 10ft wb version, and therefore doubtless 17ft 6ins oh, whereas the RCH specifications are for 9ft wb and 16ft 6ins oh. The other version is a wooden u/frame version which is right dimensionally apparently, with grease axleboxes and single-sided brakes. The body of this version lacks the deeper curb rail required by a wooden chassis. Both versions of the body moulding are poor quality. The chassis lacks door stops; it’s outside my period of interest, so I’m not sure if the type of grease axlebox is reasonable for a mineral wagon or not.

The N gauge wagon is again on a 10ft wb, 17ft 6in oh chassis, according to Dapol. It also has Morton brakegear, almost, if not totally, unknown on wooden mineral wagons.

The only one which is even close to accurate is the OO wooden underframe version, which may be acceptable as a 12T wagon if you are not too fussy. However, 10T wagons were significantly smaller [6-plank and 15ft 6in oh from memory], so the same vehicle cannot accurately be used for both.

Angus wrote: If it bothers you, resolve to do better next time - and good luck to you!.
I don't know what you mean here, since I don't commission wagons and never will. If you refer to my own modelling, I doubtless make my share of mistakes, but better than Dapol? I hope so, or I'd give up.

Noel
Noel
Noel

Postby Angus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Let me elucidate my "resolve to do better next time" comment.
Many modellers will be reasonably happy to accept the inaccuracies that have been pointed out. They will have a good-looking wagon from a local owner and that may be enough.
As one's knowledge and skills increase, however, one becomes more aware of, and more sensitive to, such shortcomings. THAT is the point to sit back, look hard, and "resolve to do better". Clearly I wasn't thinking of Noel at this point but of a hypothetical, (possibly OO) modeller.
So good luck to the Swansea group - and may the shortcomings of their model spur the scratch builders to show us what a finescale Tirdonkin vehicle looks like.
Angus

Return to Modelling Welsh Railways