Barry J class in 4mm

The place to discuss layouts, kits, modifications, exhibitions, etc.

Re: Barry J class in 4mm

Postby Penrhos1920 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:32 pm

Rhobat Bryn wrote:
I think that by 1920 the chimney numbers had been dropped?

If 1920 is your reference point, then (according to Cliff Harris) the brass numbers were removed in 1905 with the appointment of Golding as Locomotive Superintendent and replaced with gilt lettering on the front buffer beam.

Thanks. Yes Penrhos is set in 1920 - the eisteddfod year and a few passenger specials!

I'm hoping these transfers will do for the buffer beam numbers. But I'm lost for transfers of the Barry garter device.
Modelling the Alexandra (Newport & South Wales) Docks & Railway, Barry Railway and Rhymney Railway at Penrhos Junctions in SF4.
GWR short (4 & 6) coaches.
http://www.penrhos.me.uk

Penrhos1920

Postby BrianH » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:18 pm

This looks like a very interesting project, I look forward to seeing further progress.
As for the Barry crests, I have just started using Derek Mundy's water slide transfers on a rake of coaches. They are printed on white paper so need careful cutting out before applying, not as good as Fox transfers but the best you are likely to get, certainly a great deal better than anything that I have produced.
I have been using Precision paints Caledonian purple brown (P428) for painting my locos, no adverse comments when I have had them on display at the AGM.

Good to see someone else modelling the Barry.

Brian
BrianH

Postby Penrhos1920 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 pm

BrianH wrote:This looks like a very interesting project, I look forward to seeing further progress.
As for the Barry crests, I have just started using Derek Mundy's water slide transfers on a rake of coaches. They are printed on white paper so need careful cutting out before applying, not as good as Fox transfers but the best you are likely to get, certainly a great deal better than anything that I have produced.
I have been using Precision paints Caledonian purple brown (P428) for painting my locos, no adverse comments when I have had them on display at the AGM.

Good to see someone else modelling the Barry.

Brian

Thanks.

I was going to use BR maroon as applied to a couple of Westerns and suggested in the 2nd edition of Great Western Way. Do you have any photos of your locos?
Modelling the Alexandra (Newport & South Wales) Docks & Railway, Barry Railway and Rhymney Railway at Penrhos Junctions in SF4.

Penrhos1920

Postby BrianH » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 pm

There is a colour picture in Newsletter 147 Summer 2016 of my C class but looking at it on screen the colour reproduction is not very good. The maroon you mention is probably very similar. Nobody can say what is the 'correct' colour is so it is down to personal preference, I have tried to base my choice of colour on models built by the late Dr Charles Donovan.

I will try and post a new a new picture when I get chance. You may notice that I have not lined the model, I prefer to have none rather than do it badly.

Brian.
BrianH

Postby Newport_rod » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:34 am

Richard

That looks very interesting and good use on the 3-d printing technology. The printing does look very smooth as you say.

Would it be possible / have you considered introducing a bevel to reduce the material thickness around the windows and cab doors?
Visit the website of Llanastr, my Layout http://llanastr.webs.com/ or my club http://www.newportmrs.co.uk

Hoff Rheilffyrdd Aberhonddu a Merthyr Tydfil yw y gorau sydd yng Nghymru - Twm Glan Crawnon 1865
Newport_rod

Postby Penrhos1920 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:02 am

Brian I hadn't realised that the newsletter was available online in colour! Now I've downloaded it I think your colour choice has more brown than Brit Rail maroon. So it's probably better given the colour was referred to a brown with some red in it.

Rod, this material can be printed 0.3mm thick but only for 5mm, so I could've done a bevel. On other models I have done bevels and recesses, but as this is a retrofit I've used similar thickness to the original Bachmann. On the other hand this material can be filed nicely so it won't be difficult to add them.

Penrhos1920

Postby BrianH » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:40 pm

I still intend to post a photo and I will stand the loco next to a BR (British Railways!) suburban coach which for some reason I still have. Reports about livery that I seem to remember say brown for the earlier year becoming redder later on, and of course descriptions of colour are notoriously unreliable.

Many years ago I used Peugeot Regency Red from a Halfords rattle can and later bought another can of the same brand which turned out to be a completely different colour, just glad I wasn't using it on a car. The saving grace is that slightly different paint mixes and varying degrees of weathering will give engines a subtly appearance.

Brian
BrianH

Postby Newport_rod » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:53 am

BrianH wrote:just glad I wasn't using it on a car.

Surely getting a model right is far more important than a car! :D
Visit the website of Llanastr, my Layout http://llanastr.webs.com/ or my club http://www.newportmrs.co.uk

Hoff Rheilffyrdd Aberhonddu a Merthyr Tydfil yw y gorau sydd yng Nghymru - Twm Glan Crawnon 1865
Newport_rod

Postby BrianH » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:54 pm

P1040049.JPG
P1040049.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2524 times
P1040048.JPG
P1040048.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 2524 times

Hopefully a couple of photos attached.

A C class with a highly improbable British Railways suburban coach, but I hope it gives an idea of the colours.

A Redcraft J class and the scratch built C behind it.

Sorry about the size of the pictures, I thought that I had set the camera to a lower resolution, better luck next time.

I hope this may help with the choice of livery.

Brian
BrianH

Postby Noel » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:38 pm

BrianH wrote:Sorry about the size of the pictures, I thought that I had set the camera to a lower resolution, better luck next time

As I pointed out earlier to Penrhos1920, any basic picture editor has the facility to reduce file size for inline posting.
Noel
Noel

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling Welsh Railways