Trefor Jones and Mike Morton Lloyd drawings

The place to discuss layouts, kits, modifications, exhibitions, etc.

Trefor Jones and Mike Morton Lloyd drawings

Postby NCB » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Like many people I expect, I'm keenly awaiting the publication of the proposed volumes containing these drawings; I thought the Rhymney volume was excellent. Now I understand that this takes time, and my main interest the Cambrian is probably a fair way down the list. So I was wondering if there's a list somewhere of which drawings the WRRC has. This would enable people to do determine what drawings may eventually be published, and perhaps just as importantly, what subjects these drawings don't cover.

So, any ideas?

Cheers
Nigel
NCB

Re: Trefor Jones and Mike Morton Lloyd drawings

Postby s.w.johnson » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:07 pm

The answer is I don't know about all of them but I believe that some of the drawings are with individuals rather than the WRRC. The sad news is that the Rhymney book has been slow to sell. It seems that Welsh modellers are very parochial and tend to only buy literature referring to their favourite company. This is a shame because the wagons went all over the place - for example their is a picture of Birmingham Central Goods (Midland) with two Rhymney vans present.
s.w.johnson

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Plans are currently underway for the publication of the next in the series, the Barry Railway Drawings. We are hoping to publish sometime in the autumn.

Rhobat Bryn Jones
Publications Working Group
Y Twyn - Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Postby Tanat Valley » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:03 pm

What Cambrian Railways drawings does the WRRC hold?
Alan Rhodes
(HMRS Cambrian Railways Steward)
Tanat Valley

Postby s.w.johnson » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:00 pm

Best to contact Tony Miller. His email is something like dusty@widerview.co.uk - could be a .com
s.w.johnson

Postby NCB » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Re sales of the Rhymney book, I did a review of it for Mixed Traffic, quarterly magazine of the 3mm Society, which attracted some interest, and indeed I know the book was purchased by some members, one of whom is producing a kit for a Rhymney Class M (much to my disgust, I'm in the middle of scratchbuilding one!). Books like these, with drawings and accompanying information, are invaluable to modellers (i.e. people who actually make models). As has been said, Rhymney rolling stock could be found all over the place. And the locomotives lasted well. If sales are slow, maybe the info isn't getting to the right people.
NCB

Postby NCB » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Tanat Valley wrote:What Cambrian Railways drawings does the WRRC hold?

It holds the Mike Lloyd drawing of the Aston Large Sharps 4-4-0; I have a copy. When the project was first mooted I had the impression that the WRRC held quite a lot of Mike's drawings, including rolling stock but other things like buildings as well. My guess is that most/all of them have been published somewhere, but I might be wrong. There's obvious sources like the Tanat Valley book. I've a copy of his drawing for a 2-plank drop-sided wagon published, I believe, in MRC, and MRC published drawings of some 6-wheel coaches.

HMRS seems to hold some materials donated by Mike; I think the Small Sharps 4-4-0 is one, probably a copy of the G.A drawing. The NRM holds some useful copies of original Cambrian dawings (from the BR/OPC project), but I think only two G.A. drawings of locomotives, seem to remember they're the Aston 0-6-0 goods and the 0-4-4T.
NCB

Return to Modelling Welsh Railways