Data sheets

The place to discuss layouts, kits, modifications, exhibitions, etc.

Data sheets

Postby dragonman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:46 pm

On a long drive home last night, my mind was thinking about how to attract more members into the Circle.

At the moment, the 2, 4 and 7mm data sheets of what is available in the form of kits to build models of Welsh prototypes is only available to members. I started to think if it would be beneficial to the Circle if these were to be accessible to everyone, and when they see the vast range that is on offer, whether they would then be encouraged to join in fully as members.

This is something for our Committee to discuss and decide upon, but it would be worth hearing other people's views so they can have a proper debate.

Chris
dragonman

Re: Data sheets

Postby Newport_rod » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:47 pm

An interesting suggestion, thanks Chris. It is something that the Committee can discuss, but it would be great to hear the opinions of other members too.

If we make these documents public are we spreading the word and encouraging people to join or giving away the family silver?
Visit the website of Llanastr, my Layout http://llanastr.webs.com/, my club http://www.newportmrs.co.uk and the local area group of the Scalefour Society http://www.freewebs.com/nagnag/
Newport_rod

Postby Menelaus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:46 pm

If this was original research into the history of Welsh Railways, I might have some sympathy with the "family silver" point of view, but it isn't. I'm with Chris on this, I'd make these lists freely available via the website.
Menelaus

Postby Noel » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:55 am

Do you make documents visible but unavailable, so that non-members have to join to access them, which gains one year's membership fee less the associated costs but probably irritates the people concerned so that they don't bother to join and just carry out some searches on line, or else they just join for one year to get something they really want? Or do you make as much as possible freely available which gives no financial gain, and possibly no increase in membership, but a possible gain in goodwill? Or do we just sell copies to non-members? What will the likely impact be of each of these on members' time to do the work involved?

I think on the whole that, in the case of the data sheets, I am in favour of making them freely available, with two caveats. First, anyone who wants a hard copy by post must pay the associated costs, and secondly, the lists must be kept up to date or they will quickly become not just useless but annoying to users. Probably the best way is to make it available online only, so that users can be asked to provide feedback on any problems encountered, and updates made immediately. Anyone who insists on a hard copy can then just be sent a printout of the current version.

If the decision is in favour of making these lists available then it may be worth seeing if other material can also be made publically available, at a cost if necessary, to make sure the Circle is not out of pocket.

Noel
Noel
Noel

Postby dragonman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:18 am

It is now nearly 6 months since I posted about this idea, but to date have heard nothing.

Has the matter been considered by our Committee, and if so, what was the result of their deliberations.

Just asking!!!!

Chris
dragonman

Return to Modelling Welsh Railways