Redcraft Barry B1

The place to discuss layouts, kits, modifications, exhibitions, etc.

Re: Redcraft Barry B1

Postby Newport_rod » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:07 am

Rhobat Bryn wrote:I am unable to see Dragonman's attachments. Can anybody help?

Rhobat, if you're working in Windows right click on the icon within the attachment and select 'Open image in New Tab'. This is will create a tif image file on a new tab in your browser which you can then save to a location of your choice.
Visit the website of Llanastr, my Layout http://llanastr.webs.com/ or my club http://www.newportmrs.co.uk

Hoff Rheilffyrdd Aberhonddu a Merthyr Tydfil yw y gorau sydd yng Nghymru - Twm Glan Crawnon 1865
Newport_rod

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:31 am

Wedi gweithio. Diolch yn fawr i ti, Rod.
Y Twyn - Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Postby Penrhos1920 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Be aware that the GWR boiler has a much bigger dome than the Barry boiler.
Modelling the Alexandra (Newport & South Wales) Docks & Railway, Barry Railway and Rhymney Railway at Penrhos Junctions in SF4.
GWR short (4 & 6) coaches.
http://www.penrhos.me.uk

Penrhos1920

Postby BrianH » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Looking at all the photos I have of B1s in GW days there are so many variations of boilers, chimneys, domes, whistles etc. on top of the original variations I doubt that there were two engines the same.

Brian
BrianH

Postby BrianH » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Hopefully I have attached a couple of photos of my 4mm Redcraft B1.
There is still a bit of work to do but it is virtually finished. I have shortened the footplate slightly and made the filled in coal rails rather than use the open ones supplied. The chimney and dome are Dean Sidings metro fittings, everything else came out of the spares box. The sand boxes are too small and not as prominent as they should be but overall I am happy with the result. Number plates are from Modelmaster as are the transfers; there were only a couple of numbers available, oddly enough the same two as Fox do.
If all goes well I will have some news on Barry fittings by the AGM were you will be able to inspect my efforts.

Brian
Attachments
IMG_A0001.jpg
IMG_A0001.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3335 times
IMG_A0002.jpg
IMG_A0002.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 3335 times
BrianH

Postby Rhobat Bryn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:39 pm

Is there any news on the P4 B1, Brian?
Y Twyn - Rheilffordd y Barri
Rhobat Bryn

Postby BrianH » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:47 pm

No news yet but I will get in touch with Allen Doherty before the AGM. I'm sure that it will be worth waiting for. As for fittings, I am making progress and will report when I have firm news.
BrianH

Postby Newport_rod » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:12 pm

Brian

This looks very impressive indeed. I look forward to seeing it at the AGM.

BrianH wrote: I have shortened the footplate slightly

I guess that you shortened it at the front - by how much? 274, former BR 123, was a 1900-built Franco-Belge engine, were you specifically trying to recreate on of that company's engines with the 6'9" front overhang ?

Cheers
Rod
Visit the website of Llanastr, my Layout http://llanastr.webs.com/ or my club http://www.newportmrs.co.uk

Hoff Rheilffyrdd Aberhonddu a Merthyr Tydfil yw y gorau sydd yng Nghymru - Twm Glan Crawnon 1865
Newport_rod

Postby BrianH » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:18 pm

I shortened the footplate by 3mm, it is still slightly long but an improvement on what is supplied but it did mean that the valance had to be cut to shorten it as well. As for the number I could only find 274/5, both Franco Belge so the footplate overhang is reasonable. Not an easy kit since the only tab and slot fixing is for the cab front. There is a half etched line for the valance but it is too far from the edge of the footplate, the Barry locos have the valance almost flush with the edge.

Overall I am happy with the result, it looks like a GW B1 even if it may not be up to today's standards. It will soon be put to work on my coal trains along with some other pre-grouping locos.
BrianH

Previous

Return to Modelling Welsh Railways