Barry Railway Wagon Brakes

The place to discuss layouts, kits, modifications, exhibitions, etc.

Barry Railway Wagon Brakes

Postby 2996 Victor » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Dear All,

Thanks to the Circle's Data Sheet #2 and a spare CooperCraft GWR cattle wagon kit, I've allowed myself to become slightly side-tracked from my R&SBR and GWR endeavours. As a result of this, I've invested in the E.R. Mountford/Oakwood (Oakwood X47) and WRRC Barry Railway drawings books and, having now got to hand both books, it's intriguing to see how smaller railway companies such as the Barry could use designs very much like those of its larger neighbours, but built by contractors.

The 1904 Craven-built cattle wagons are a particular case in point and, with Data Sheet #2 to hand, I thought they would be the subject for a fairly simple kit-bash. Assuming that the E.R. Mountford drawing is at least reasonably accurate, and there is no obvious reason to suppose otherwise, one is led to wonder whether the design for the 1904 Craven wagons may have been the result of "someone" (a Barry employee, or perhaps a Craven's employee) measuring a GWR wagon.

However, the brake gear is a bit of a question mark. E.R. Mountford's drawing shows a few details of the vacuum brake, but with the shoe/pushrod arrangement omitted and the hand lever on the "wrong" side. The design of the brake gear would likely not have been to a patent design, such as Dean-Churchward, as that would presumably have incurred additional costs in royalties. In some respects, it seems to resemble the long lever GWR Armstrong vacuum brake as used on the GWR W4 passenger cattle wagons, X2 Micas and Y1/Y2 Fruits, but I suspect the precise layout may not be able to be determined. Whether the Armstrong vacuum was patented, I don't know, and I would imagine that Craven would have used their preferred "in-house" design, but the layout of the cylinder, vee-hanger and lever in Mountford's drawing is a bit of a look-alike.

Either way, some conjectural modelling may be needed to give a reasonable approximation, and I was wondering if anyone had experience of replicating this set-up?

A photograph would be the answer, of course, but the HMRS doesn't have anything (nor drawings). Whether a search through the library might yield anything is anyone's guess!

Any thoughts/inspiration would be gratefully received!

Cheers,

Mark
2996 Victor

Re: Barry Railway Wagon Brakes

Postby cambrian51 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:33 pm

Hello Mark,
Through the good offices of Tony Miller, I have a small copy of the GA drawing for these cattle wagons.
I have attempted to scan the relevant bits but have been unable to attach them to this message.
Even at the lowest resolution, the file is too big for this site.
Perhaps you could send a PM to me with your e-mail address and I can send the attachment to you via that route.
Regards,
Stephen
cambrian51

Postby 2996 Victor » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:52 am

cambrian51 wrote:Hello Mark,
Through the good offices of Tony Miller, I have a small copy of the GA drawing for these cattle wagons.
I have attempted to scan the relevant bits but have been unable to attach them to this message.
Even at the lowest resolution, the file is too big for this site.
Perhaps you could send a PM to me with your e-mail address and I can send the attachment to you via that route.
Regards,
Stephen

Hi Stephen,
many thanks for your post and many, many apologies for not having replied sooner.
Thank you for your very kind offer - I'll pop a PM across to you now.
Many thanks once again, and very best wishes,
Mark
2996 Victor

Postby cambrian51 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Hello Mark,
A couple of scans are on their way to you.
I hope that they help.
Regards,
Stephen
cambrian51

Postby 2996 Victor » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:28 pm

cambrian51 wrote:Hello Mark,
A couple of scans are on their way to you.
I hope that they help.
Regards,
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

just in case my email didn't reach you, I just wanted to say many thanks for the scans - they're absolutely perfect! I'm planning on making a start on one of these in 4mm scale, now!

With many thanks and very best regards,

Mark
2996 Victor

Postby cambrian51 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Hello Mark,
Your e-mail did indeed arrive.
I'm glad that you find the scans useful.
Regards,
Stephen
cambrian51

Return to Modelling Welsh Railways