The Pembroke & Tenby Railway (and related lines)

History

1859

Pembroke and Tenby Railway authorised to build a standard gauge line between Tenby and Pembroke Dock.

1863

Line opened between Tenby and Pembroke.

1864

Opened through to Pembroke Dock.

1866

Extension from Tenby to Whitland opened.

1868

First goods train through to Carmarthen using running powers over the Great Western Railway, who converted the Up line by moving the inner section of the broad gauge track to make it standard (or in their mind – narrow) gauge. There was a crossing loop just for broad gauge trains at St Clears.

1869

First passenger through train to Carmarthen.

1896

Pembroke and Tenby Railway leased to the Great Western Railway.

1897

Pembroke and Tenby railway amalgamated with the Great Western Railway.


 

The Pembroke and Tenby Railway Map

 































Selected Reading