The Manchester & Milford Railway (and related lines)

History

1860

Act passed for the construction between Pencader and Llanidloes, via Devils Bridge with a branch to Aberystywth.

1864

Route changed to make a shorter main line between Pencader and Llanidloes, no longer going via Devils Bridge.

1866

Construction of Aberystwyth branch prioritised due to ongoing problems with the Llangurig area engineering and company finances.

1867

Pencader to Aberystwyth section opened.

1875 - 1900

Manchester and Milford Railway Company in receivership.

1906

Great Western Railway takes over the running of the Manchester and Milford Railway.

1911

Manchester and Milford Railway Company absorbed by the Great Western Railway.

1911

Construction of the Lampeter, Aberayron and New Quay railway.

1964

Flood damage near Llanilar closes the north end of the line.

1965

Southern section of line closed to passenger traffic.

1973

Milk traffic from Felin Fach stops and the line is fully closed.

2008

Sections of the trackbed between Aberystwyth to Tregaron are opened as the Ystwyth Trail multi-use path.


 

The Manchester & Milford Railway Map

 































Selected Reading