Llanelly Railway & Dock Co., Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway, Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway, Gwendraeth Valleys Railway, Carmarthenshire Railway.
Llanelly Railway & Dock Co., Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway, Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway, Gwendraeth Valleys Railway, Carmarthenshire Railway. (and related lines)
This section covers a group of railways centred between the rivers Loughor and Gwendraeth in south east Carmarthenshire.
They include the first Welsh railway to receive parliamentary authority (The Carmarthenshire Railway) and one that,
against all odds, still carries both passengers and coal, The Llanelly Railway. The prime purpose of all the lines was to
carry coal to the coast for export and some companies built their own dock. The arrival of the local railways helped the
expansion of coal mining in the Mynydd Mawr district and Amman and Gwendraeth Valleys. The trade was well established when
the main line of the South Wales Railway arrived in 1852.
The WRRC Line Superintendent can give help to researchers
directing to useful sources and archives for the local lines.
- The Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway. - 1st Edition - 1992 by M.R.C. Price - Oakwood Press ISBN 0-85361-423-7
- The Llanelly Railway & Dock Company, The Heart of Wales Pioneer. - 2012 by Michael Denman - The Wider View.
- Railway Around Llanelli. by Michael Denman - The Wider View.
- Nevill’s Dock & Railway Company. by Michael Denman - The Wider View.
- Gwendraeth Valleys Railway: Kidwelly to Mynydd-y-Garreg. - M.R.C. Price - The Oakwood Press, ISBN-10: 0853615055
- Burry Port and Gwendreath Valley Railway and Its Antecedent Canals Vol 1: The Canals. Raymond. E. Bowen - The Oakwood Press, ISBN-10: 0853615772
- Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway and Its Antecedent Canals Vol 2: The Railway and the Dock. Robert W. Miller - The Oakwood Press, ISBN-10: 085361685X
- South Wales Branch Lines. H. Morgan, Ian Allan Ltd, 1984. ISBN 0711013217