Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway.

Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway

BPGV logo
The Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway was incorporated in 1866 as a combination of the Burry Port Harbour Co and the Kidwelly and Llanelly Canal Co who, had been authorised to convert the canal into a railway one year previously. The line was built on the canal bed or towpath. It opened in Pontyberem in 1869 and was extended to Cwmmawr in 1886. The Cwm-Capel Branch linked Achddu Colliery and Cwm-Capel Colliery with the harbour at Burry Port.

The WRRC Line Superintendent can give help to researchers directing to useful sources and archives for the local lines.

Llanelly Railway & Dock Co., Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway, Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway Map


WRRC Information Resource files



Selected Reading