Barry Railway (and related lines)

Barry logo









Important Dates

22nd November 1876

A meeting takes place at the Cardiff Chamber of Commerce buildings and resolves to inform Lord Bute that if further accommodation is not provided for the shipping, they should have to take their traffic elsewhere. In the event of the resolution not having the desired effect, the meeting resolves to support the Bill of the GWR to obtain powers to construct a railway to Barry Island. Steps will also be taken to construct a dock on the Island.

14th December 1876

A directors' meeting of the GWR states its favourable regard for the railway scheme but do not feel themselves in a position to take responsibility for the construction of the docks.

28th July 1883

The House of Lords throws out the Barry Dock and Railway Bill.

February 1884

The promoters of the Barry Dock and Railway Bill offer to buy Bute Docks.

25th June 1884

The Select Committee of the House of Commons sanction to the Bill.

14th August 1884

Royal Assent to the Bill is given.

4th September 1884

Lord Windsor is appointed Chairman and David Davies MP is appointed Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Barry Dock and Railways Company.

22nd November 1888

The first Barry engine works an inspection saloon over the main line from Pontypridd to Barry.

20th December 1888

Cogan to Barry Dock passenger service begins.

8th February 1889

The Cogan to Barry Dock passenger service is extended to Barry.

10th May 1889

Goods and Mineral traffic begins between Barry and Cogan.

29th June 1889

Water let in to Barry Dock.

8th July 1889

Barry Dock opens. Coal traffic from Hafod Junction and Treforest Junction to Barry Dock begins.

6th August 1889

An extraordinary meeting of the Barry Dock and Railway Company approves an agreement between them and the promoters of the Vale of Glamorgan Railway Company for the Barry Railway to work the line.

21st March 1890

Mr Edward Davies is appointed Managing Director.

16th May 1890

A petition is received for the establishment of a passenger service between Barry and Hafod.

22nd May 1890

Taff Vale Railway begins running trains into Cadoxton.

20th July 1890

David Davies dies, aged 72, at Llandinam, Montygomeryshire.

14th August 1893

Trains run through from Barry to Cardiff Riverside.

2nd April 1894

Trains to Cardiff extended to Clarence Road.

10th January 1896

The Barry Railway undertakes not to promote or support a Bill for a new through route from South Wales to London within the subsequent ten years was approved.

16th March 1896

Passenger traffic between Barry and Porth begins with stations at Wenvoe, Creigiau, Efail Isaf and Pontypridd.

3rd August 1896

Barry Island branch opens for passenger traffic.

27th January 1897

Barry Island branch opens for goods and mineral traffic.

7th June 1897

Passenger trains run from Pontypridd to Cardiff via St Fagans.

1st December 1897

Vale of Glamorgan opens between Barry and Bridgend.

1st April 1898

Treforest station opens.

27th July 1899

Barry Island to Barry Pier line opens.

1st August 1901

Tyn-y-caeau to Penrhos Junction opens.

10th August 1903

First workers trains run from the Rhondda to Barry.

2nd January 1905

Penrhos Junction to Llanbradach opens.

1st May 1905

Introduction of Steam Railmotors on Cardiff to Pontypridd service.

31st May 1905

Withdrawal of Steam Railmotors on Cardiff to Pontypridd service.

5th August 1905

E Lake is appointed General Manager.

18th November 1905

St-y-Nyll platform closes.

1st August 1906

Through service to Newcastle starts from Barry.

8th July 1907

Pontypridd and Treforest Goods Stations open.

24th February 1912

Thomas Rendell is appointed General Manager.





Barry Railway 10t vanBarry Railway G class No.66Barry Railway H class No.84Barry Railway No.33


Barry Map


Selected Reading